5 Incredible Olive Oil Benefits For Skin
1. Get the glow: how olive oil improves skin complexionLet’s start from the basics: consuming extra virgin olive oil benefits your skin and overall appearance, especially as part of a healthy diet (like the olive-oil rich Mediterranean-like diet). Olive oil is packed with healthy monounsaturated fats, known to be beneficial for maintaining hydrated, supple, “springy” skin.
2. Antioxidants: olive oil for skin healthWhen people ask ‘is olive oil good for skin?, we can’t go past its abundant antioxidant content. Antioxidants help fight cellular damage caused by free radicals – and an antioxidant-rich diet may reduce some disease risk and help slow skin deterioration. Oxidative stress and DNA damage caused by the sun’s UV rays can break down collagen and accelerate fine lines and wrinkles — so enjoying lots of antioxidant-rich food like olive oil for skin health may help fight the outward signs of aging. Our Frantoio olive oil, for example, is more than a great ingredient for dipping and dressings: its high antioxidant value means it can be sipped by the tablespoon as a nutritional supplement.
3. Moisturise and hydrate: olive oil for skin carePeople around the world swear by olive oil for skin to lock in moisture and hydrate. Extra virgin olive oil is natural and gentle but, like any skin care, it may not suit sensitive or acne-prone skin so patch test first. If you choose to use olive oil for skin care, remember you don’t need much – and you can simply apply your normal moisturiser, add a small amount of olive oil to your face (with fingertips or cotton ball), gently massage it into your skin, and remove excess with a towel or cotton ball. To make it easier to harness olive oil benefits for skin, Olio Mio Premium Olive Oil is used to create handcrafted, moisture-rich soaps with no synthetic fragrances.
4. Makeup Remover: olive oil for skin careOlive oil is known as a secret weapon for breaking down ‘waxy’ or stubborn makeup like waterproof mascara and eyeliner. With the added benefits of antioxidants and hydrating squalene, it can simultaneously moisturise the delicate eye-area skin and nourish eyelashes. After removing your makeup gently (with a cotton pad soaked with olive oil) wash your face as usual. And, as above, remember to patch test first.
5. Cuticle softener: olive oil benefitsSoak your nails in a little tray of olive oil to keep them in top condition. It will also soften them, making them easier to push during a manicure.
Finally: remember that quality mattersIf you’re using olive oil for skin, always opt for unrefined extra virgin olive oil. It delivers maximum antioxidants, nutritional value and skin-loving benefits – without the chemicals and additives.
All Olio Mio Estate, all our products are 100% Australian Premium Olive Oil: made from olives grown, pressed and bottled on our Hunter Valley estate. Browse our beautiful products here.
- Medical News Today
- Healthline [Content created, fact-checked, and reviewed by qualified writers, editors, clinicians, and other contributors.]
- Better Health Channel